Magazine Project

Process: When given this assignment I started to try to figure out what story I would tell first. I decided to go with the Sacrament Meeting I attended at the 2013 National Jamboree. This story I felt would work for either magazine, The Ensign or the New Era. With both of the option my target audience is LDS Youth or Adults. I then went in search of pictures. The second reason I chose this is that I own all the pictures (I did not have to worry about siting sources). Finally I had to choose a color scheme.

Miracles Still Happen – 2013 National Jamboree

I had the opportunity to attend the 2013 National Jamboree as a Venturing Advisor. I was asked to serve as a Crew Advisor to a Coed Crew. I knew it would be a once in a lifetime experience, I was prepared for all of the fun. I was surprised at how much my testimony grew while there.

The Venturing campground was at the top of the Summit-Betchel Scout Reserve. The scenery alone led to the spirit of the Jamboree.  In order to attend Sacrament Meeting at 8:00 a.m. the Venturers would have to get up at 6:00 a.m. We would have to hike about one hour in order to make it to the AT&T Stadium where Sacrament Meeting was being held. I was so impressed at the dedication of the Latter-day Saint youth, they were ready to go on time without any leaders waking them up and prodding them to get ready.

It was so impressive to walk into the stadium to see so many saints gathered in the same location was breath taking. On the stage a choir of Venturing Scouts were singing “On My Honor”. There must have been 5,000 or more scouts and leaders there. Stretching the full length of the stage were Sacrament tables. It seemed there were 40 priests ready to bless the Sacrament. I do not know how many deacons and teachers were present to pass, it was impressive.

In true LDS fashion the opening hymn was displayed up on the large screens on each side of the stadium. As we started singing the opening hymn, started to rain. Curious to see if anyone would leave, I looked around. No one moved. My heart was touched at the dedication of the youth and their leaders. We were all there to partake of the Sacrament and to be taught by an Apostle of the Lord. I had never attended a Sacrament Meeting that was so quiet, even the normal sounds of nature seem to be subdued.

The first speaker was the President of Boy Scouts of America, he was then followed by Sister Anderson, Elder Neil Anderson’s wife. Sister Anderson bore her testimony and also mentioned that the view of all the scouts and leaders present must have been similar to the view the Savior had when he taught the 5,000.

During all the talks rain continued, I remember getting wet and wishing the rain would stop. To be honest I was hoping that the speakers would be short. I wanted to hear Elder Anderson. I was only about 60 feet away from the canopy and the podium that was being used. Sister Anderson had spoken under the canopy and when she was finished she handed the microphone to Elder Anderson. I still am able to see in my mind him accepting the microphone and turning to the congregation to speak. He expressed the love of President Monson. He then said to us, “that if he stepped out from under the canopy that he had enough faith that the rain would stop so that he could speak to us that day”. He then with out a pause stepped out. The rain immediately stopped. Not only did the rain stop a sunbeam came down and hit the podium where he was speaking. I looked around at my Venturers, and they appeared just as shocked as I did. The rain stayed away the rest of the meeting. I don’t remember much of what was said. I know that he told us that if we ever had the opportunity to meet him again, to remind him that we had meet before at the largest Sacrament Meeting he ever attended. HI know that he was the only speaker that day that acknowledged the young ladies sitting there in their Venturing Uniforms. He told both the young men and young women that the lessons that they were learning in Scouting were preparing them to serve missions and be parents. The rain stayed away until Elder Anderson left the stadium. Once he left the heavens seemed to open and rain started again and did not let up most of the day. We made our way back to camp and spent the day enjoying the spirit that was left after witnessing such a wonderful miracle.

Witnessing this miracle was amazing, it strengthened my testimony of the power of not only faith but also that we do have a prophet and apostles here on the earth today and they are leading and guiding His church. I told my children that if they ever doubted their testimony to remember back to this day. To never forget the miracle that they were able to participate in.

Color Scheme: Analogous (Green, Teal, Blue)




P1050454 IMG_0629 P1050437 P1050428 P1050357 IMG_0155 IMG_0286 P1050356